Match Report: Friday 19th August 2022 – FOSROC Super6 Championship Round 3 – Stirling Wolves vs Southern Knights - Stirling County RFC

Match Report: Friday 19th August 2022 – FOSROC Super6 Championship Round 3 – Stirling Wolves vs Southern Knights

Stirling Wolves hosted Southern Knights on Friday evening in their third match of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship, with both sides looking to pick up their first win of the season.

The match started slow, with neither side showing any real threat of attacking the opposition try-line, and most of the action of the opening quarter coming in the middle of the park. There was then a lengthy stoppage 25 minutes in, as Knights’ No.8 Harry Borthwick received medical attention for a knee injury.

After the restart, Stirling continued to build on the momentum they were beginning to pick up prior to the stoppage. This resulted in them being awarded a penalty which they opted to kick, with Marcus Holden dispatching it in the 28th minute. [3-0]

Knights then responded almost immediately, with Cameron Scott getting the opening try of the match in the 29th minute. David Colvine converted successfully. [3-7]

Wolves’ Alex Thom was then shown a yellow 34 minutes in, as he collided with Aidan Cross while the Knights winger was in the air.

Knights made the most of the man advantage as Douglas Crawford forced his way through the Stirling defence just a minute later. Colvine converted. [3-14]

Wolves were pushing for a response but couldn’t find their way through the Knights’ defence. George Breese then came on in place of Lewis Skinner in the 38th minute.

Logan Trotter made an important tackle for Stirling right before half-time as Billy Warra was breaking dangerously. However, an offside following on from this led to a penalty for the Knights, which Colvine sent over with the last action of the half. [3-17]

HT: Stirling Wolves 3-17 Southern Knights

Craig Robertson made his Wolves return in the 49th minute of the match, after missing the Sprint Series through injury. Alex Thom was the man who made way.

After a spell of Knights pressure, Wolves were caught offside again, leading to another penalty from which Colvine continued his success from the tee after 52 minutes. [3-20]

Harris McLeod was brought on following the penalty, replacing Hamish Ferguson.

There was then another lengthy injury stoppage. A head knock to Knights’ Aidan Cross meant the medical staff had to take the necessary precautions and a stretcher was brought on for the second time in the match.

Wolves made a double substitution in the 58th minute, with Cameron MacMillan and Benedict Grant coming off and James Lascelles and Shaun MacDonald coming on. Callum Beckett then came on just a few moments later after Logan Trotter picked up an injury.

Stirling were awarded a penalty shortly after the hour mark which saw Keir Singleton almost catch out the Knights defence after a quick tap. However, he found himself isolated and couldn’t break through the last line of defence.

George Arnott was replaced in the 65th minute by Jack Hill, who came on to make his Wolves debut.

Another yellow card came in the 69th minute, this time for the Knights, after David Colvine was judged to have deliberately knocked the ball out of play.

Stirling were pushing to make the most of the man advantage but still couldn’t break through the Knights’ defence. They made their final change in the 74th minute as Rhodri Tanner was brought on to replace Gregor Hiddleston.

Knights went down to 13 in the 78th minute after Billy Warra was shown a yellow for stopping a Stirling attack with a knock-on. The closing stages played out inside the Knights’ 22 with the Wolves pushing for a consolation but they were unable to get through the away defence.

FT: Stirling Wolves 3-20 Southern Knights


Ben Cairns was asked his thoughts on the match:

“It’s brutal, it’s really hard to summarise other than it wasn’t good enough. We need to be so much better than that across the board.

Sometimes you have to go down to come up out the other side so I’m hoping that’s rock bottom for us. I said to the boys we can’t be doing this every week, so something needs to change and as I say, hopefully it does change pretty quickly.”


Match report by Andrew MacInnes



Stirling Wolves: 15. Logan Trotter, 14. Logan Jarvie, 13. Alex Thom, 12. Marcus Holden (C), 11. Craig Jardine, 10. Euan Cunningham, 9. Keir Singleton; 1. Cameron MacMillan, 2. Gregor Hiddleston, 3. Lewis Skinner, 4. James Pow, 5. Hamish Ferguson, 6. George Arnott, 7. Connor Gordon (C), 8. Benedict Grant.

Replacements: 16. Rhodri Tanner, 17. James Lascelles, 18. George Breese, 19. Harris McLeod, 20. Jack Hill, 22. Callum Beckett, 23. Craig Robertson, 25. Shaun MacDonald.


Southern Knights: 15. David Colvine, 14. Aidan Cross, 13. Patrick Anderson (VC), 12. Robbie Chalmers, 11. Billy Warra, 10. Cameron Scott, 9. Douglas Crawford; 1. Corey Bowker, 2. Russell Anderson (C), 3. Isaac Brace, 4. Jamie Campbell, 5. Alan Ferrie, 6. Jordan Miller, 7. Sam Derrick, 8. Harry Borthwick.

Replacements: 16. Fraser Renwick, 17. Grant Shiels, 18. Eoin Harrison, 19. Wallace Nelson, 20. Matthew Reid, 21. Keiran Clark, 22. Ben Pickles, 23. Kyle McGhie.



Referee: David Sutherland

AR1: Michael Todd

AR2: Alistair Watt



Stirling Wolves: PEN: Holden.

Heriot’s Rugby: TRY: Scott, Crawford; CON: Colvine 2; PEN: Colvine 2.


FOSROC Player of the Match

Robbie Chalmers (Southern Knights)